Monday, December 12, 2016

Christmas Traditions

As I grew up, my family's Christmas traditions were simple: we opened presents early Christmas morning, ate monkey bread, and later had Christmas dinner. Some years, we would go to church on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, and sometimes we would have Christmas dinner with relatives. In the days and weeks leading up to Christmas, we would go look at Christmas lights and watch a Christmas movie almost every night. My husband's family travels to Denver on Christmas Eve for dinner at their favorite fancy restaurant. On Christmas day, they open presents and spend the day together. Usually extended family members come over for Christmas dinner.

Left: 2016 | Right: 2015
Last Christmas was our first Christmas as a family - it was our first Christmas as a married couple and it was our daughter's first Christmas. We moved to a new apartment only three days before Christmas, so our Christmas decorations were minimal and presents were wrapped in a hurry on Christmas day! 

This year, my husband and I have been enjoying the Christmas season. We have already been starting our own traditions. Our Christmas tree is up and we have lights in our windows. We plan to go to Christmas Eve dinner with my husband's family and have Christmas lunch with my family the next day. As our daughter grows up, we want to make holidays special for her. First and foremost, we want to teach her the true meaning of Christmas, as our parents taught us. That God loved us so much that he gave us His one and only son, and that we must show others the same love.


What are some Christmas traditions that you and your family have?

1 comment:

  1. Times change and sometimes traditions change...I loved getting and giving pjs for Christmas. I'm going back to that this year. I also will honor my long standing tradition of "pajama day" the day after Christmas where we stay in our pjs all day, eat leftovers and play with our new toys. I hope my kids will always do the same.

    ReplyDelete